Unholy Spells Alphabetically
Note: Some spells listed here have fewer than 10 levels; unlike skills, the levels listed here indicate the minimum level you must be to know that spell. For example, Curse starts at level 7, so that is the level you learn Curse at, and not before. However, you do not have to "buy" your spells. Just consult with your local Unholy Temple or higher level Unholy Priest/Cleric and you're good to go - so long as you have the MP & Focus necessary to cast them.
The Focus cost of a spell is equal to its level: so a level 4 spell requires 4 Focus to cast; a level 10 spell requires 10. Some spells may have additional effects available for increased Focus costs.The MP cost of a spell depends on the level:
- Level 1: 4 MP
- Level 2: 5 MP
- Level 3: 6 MP
- Level 4: 8 MP
- Level 5: 10 MP
- Level 6: 12 MP
- Level 7: 14 MP
- Level 8: 16 MP
- Level 9: 18 MP
- Level 10: 20 MP
If you'd rather see the list of Unholy Spells by level, check out the duly-named Unholy Spells by Level page.
Banish Dead: All Unholy Magicians love a good undead raising, but sometimes, the walking dead are more trouble than they're worth. Use this spell to send them back to their eternal rest. Only works on Zombies, not Ghosts or Vampires, and only works if the person who raised the zombie(s) in question is your level or LOWER.
Curse: Curse adds Unholy power to an item, animal, or person for an hour's time. The touch of the Cursed to anything Holy burns like fire.
- Level 6: You can banish 1 zombie.
- Level 7: You can banish no more than 3 undead at one time.
- Level 8: You can banish up to 6 undead at once.
- Level 9: You can banish up to a dozen undead at one time.
- Level 10: Banish up to 20 at once! Useful for those out of control zombie armies.
Damn: Damn spiritually sullies an item, animal or person. Used most often in preparation for rituals, but can also be used to remove blessings or other effects of Holy Magic.
- Level 7: make small inanimate object unholy
- Level 8: make medium inanimate/small animate object unholy
- Level 9: make large inanimate/medium animate object unholy
- Level 10: make large animate object unholy
Demonic Intervention: Calls upon the Demons for their aid. So very Level 10
- Level 3: damn small inanimate object
- Level 4: damn medium inanimate/small animate object
- Level 5: damn large inanimate/medium animate object
- Level 6: damn large animate object
Disrupt: reduces Focus of target Holy Magician by 5 for purposes of spellcasting only. Disrupt lasts 4 rounds, does not stack, and cannot reduce Focus below 0. Works only on Holy Magic. Level 9
For Example: Merenthal casts Disrupt on Ferris, a Holy Magician with a Focus of 10. Ferris's Focus for spellcasting is now 5. It will stay at 5 for four rounds (the round it first effects him and the next three), then return to 10. It does not go down by 5 the first round and then by another 5 the second.
Entropy: You can erode inanimate obstacles and Holy barriers in your path with but a touch of your hand. You must be able to place your entire hand on the surface you want to erode, and leave it there while casting. Has no effect on animate objects (people, animals) or Spirit Magic-based shields (which are created by the life energy of a person). Higher levels of Entropy can either make larger sized holes OR work faster, but cannot do both unless you spend more Focus (as noted).
Falsehood: Falsehood can only affect one person (although it can be cast multiple times, depending on one's magic reserve) and although it cannot compel them to speak, if they SHOULD speak, they will lie and speak blatant falsehoods.
- Level 1: can create a cat-sized hole in about 3 rounds
- Level 2: can create a level 1 hole in 2 rounds OR a child-sized hold in about 3 rounds; to do both requires 2 extra Focus
- Level 3: reduces cast time of level 1 hole by 2 rounds, level 2 hole by 1 round, or creates a hole twice as large as level 2 in 4 rounds; to combine speed & size requires an extra 3 Focus
- Level 4: reduces cast time of level 2 hole by 2 rounds, cast time of level 3 hole by 1 round, or creates a normal adult size hole in 5 rounds; to combine speed & size requires an extra 4 Focus
- Level 5: reduces cast time of level 3 hole by 2 rounds, cast time of level 4 hole by 1 round; to combine speed & size requires an extra 5 Focus
Infect: You infect the target with a demon-borne illness, uncurable by all means save Holy Magic, though it will wear off after a long period of sleep/unconsciousness (8 hours, generally). Infect can only be cast on one person at a time.
- Level 6: person will speak only lies for 10 mins.
- Level 7: person will speak only lies for 30 mins.
- Level 8: person will speak only lies for an hour
- Level 1: Your infection does 1 HP per round damage until cured or until the person reaches unconsciousness.
- Level 2: 2 HP per round damage
- Level 3: 3 HP per round damage
- Level 4: 4 HP per round damage
- Level 5: 5 HP per round damage
Interfere: reduces Focus of target Holy Magician by 3 for purposes of spellcasting only. Interfere lasts 3 rounds (effects not cumulative; see "Disrupt" for example). Works only on Holy Magic. Level 8
Persuade: Persuade moves people to follow your will for an hour. Good way to quell riots, get information and gain temporary followers. Also, keep in mind that although they will strive to do all you have asked of them, those under the effect of Persuade will not act entirely contrary to their true natures. A good-hearted person could be persuaded to tell you all manner of things, but they won't stand by and watch you hurt someone they care about, nor will they suddenly turn around and start punting puppies if they wouldn't normally do so. You can, however, get at some secret and inhibited longings this way.
Plague: You infect the target with a demon-borne illness, uncurable by all means save Holy Magic, though it will wear off after a long period of sleep/unconsciousness (8 hours, generally). Like Infect, you may only cast Plague on one person at a time. However, the target can and will spread the illness to those within arm's reach (though the illness is airborne, and does not require touch to be transmitted), and the effects are much more dire. Keep in mind that your victim is still mobile.
- Level 3: persuade 1 person
- Level 4: persuade 2 people
- Level 5: persuade small group (max. 5)
- Level 6: persuade medium group (max. 12)
- Level 7: persuade large group (max. 30)
Possess: You may call upon a demon to possess an unconscious humanoid (human/elf/dwarf/were) victim. While possessed, the victim will do as the demon wishes (not as YOU wish), but most demons will grant a wish of the facilitating Unholy cleric/priest who got them this body. NOTE: Dragons and any Undead (zombie, ghost, vampire) canNOT be Possessed. Level = level of the demon you wish to summon into the humanoid
- Level 6: 2 HP per round damage, and the victim will spread the disease to the next 5 people encountered within arm's reach
- Level 7: 4 HP per round damage, and it spreads to the next 8 people
- Level 8: 6 HP per round damage, and it spreads to the next 12 people
- Level 9: 8 HP per round damage, and it spreads to the next 20 people
- Level 10: 10 HP per round damage, and it spreads to the next 30 people
Prevent: reduces Focus of target Holy Magician by 10 for purposes of spellcasting only. Prevent lasts 5 rounds (effects not cumulative; see "Disrupt" for example). Works only on Holy Magic. Level 10
Raise Dead: Welcome to the necromantic arts! You can now raise the dead as loyal zombie servants. Keep in mind that you must keep your undead minions in line of sight (and must be conscious) in order to keep control of them - and you'll need Banish Dead to send them back to their graves. Otherwise, you've just got a random mindless zombie who'll attack anyone on sight - including you!
Sense Good/Evil: This is the ability to detect the intent/alignment of those around you. Higher levels allow you greater range of detection.
- Level 6: You can raise 1 dead subject to obey your commands.
- Level 7: You can raise no more than 3 dead at one time.
- Level 8: You can raise up to 6 dead at once.
- Level 9: You can raise up to a dozen dead at one time.
- Level 10: Raise up to 20 - a whole freakin' army of zombies!!...if you think you can keep your eyes on 'em...
Summon Imp: This is for summoning lower-level demons (called imps), usually only for conversation, as the imp will be trapped in the summoning runes, which must be marked on a flat (and Damned) surface. However, a demon - even a lower-level one - can tell you all kinds of useful things...if it feels like it. It will usually try to bargain with you, so be careful what you ask it.
- Level 1: sense good/evil from someone you touch
- Level 2: someone near you (next to you, across the table)
- Level 3: someone in your vicinity (room)
- Level 4: anyone in your vicinity (room) or someone in your building
- Level 5: anyone in your building or someone in your town
- Level 6: anyone in your town or someone in your large city
- Level 7: anyone in your large city
.:Unholy Magic Main Page:.
- Level 1: Summon an imp for 5 minutes
- Level 2: Summon an imp for 10 minutes
- Level 3: Summon an imp for 15 minutes
- Level 4: Summon an imp for 20 minutes